A group of guys have released a video showing modded tracks and other neat tricks, here is a quote from the video description:
This work is based on the recently released browser exploit, and some additional code that Chadderz wrote to get arbitrary kernel reading and writing, to allow the browser to edit Mario Kart 8’s memory on-the-fly.
All of this may not look impressive, but it’s merely because we don’t even know where to start; we can do anything now, anything at all! Custom tracks, custom songs, you name it. We just have to decipher the RAM and work out how.
I hope you enjoy this quick look into what we’ve been up to recently, and hopefully more to come soon!
Here is a complete list of what they have accomplished:
- Making Moo Moo Meadows play its final lap music immediately
- Making the final lap play no music at all
- Making the lap 1/2 song into the opening camera fanfare
- Renaming Moo Moo Meadows to “Hello!”
- Renaming it again to “Shitty luck course!”
- Renaming Toad’s Turnpike to Deathpike…
- Corrupting a font
- Crashing the Wii U
- Altering the Wii U menu fonts
And here is the video: